I saw a paper on ArXiV yesterday called Kalman meets Shannon, which got me thinking: in how many papers has someone met Shannon, anyway? Krish blogged about this a few years ago, but since then Shannon has managed to meet some more people. I plugged “meets Shannon” into Google Scholar, and out popped:
- Fourier: Wang and Giannakis, Wireless Multicarrier Communications: Where Fourier Meets Shannon, IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, 2000.
- Bode: Elia, When Bode meets Shannon: control-oriented feedback communication schemes, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, 2004.
- Maxwell: Chakraborty and Franceschetti, Maxwell meets Shannon: Space-time duality in multiple antenna channels, Allerton 2006, and Lee and Chung, Capacity scaling of wireless ad hoc networks: Shannon meets Maxwell, IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, 2012.
- Carnot: Shental and Kanter, Shannon Meets Carnot: Generalized Second Thermodynamic Law, Europhysics Letters, 2009.
- Nash: Berry and Tse, Shannon Meets Nash on the Interference Channel, IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, 2011.
- Walras: Jorswieck and Mochaourab, Shannon Meets Walras on Interference Networks, ITA Workshop 2013.
- Nyqust: Chen, Eldar, and Goldsmith,
Shannon Meets Nyquist: Capacity of Sampled Gaussian Channels, IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, 2013.
- Strang and Fix: Dragotti, Vetterli, and Blu, Sampling moments and reconstructing signals of finite rate of innovation: Shannon meets Strang–Fix, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, 2007.
- Blackwell and LeCam: Raginsky, Shannon meets Blackwell and Le Cam: channels, codes, and statistical experiments, ISIT 2011.
- Wiener: Forney, On the role of MMSE estimation in approaching the information-theoretic limits of linear Gaussian channels: Shannon meets Wiener, Allerton 2003, and Forney, Shannon meets Wiener II: On MMSE estimation in successive decoding schemes, Allerton 2004 and ArXiv 2004.
- Bellman: Meyn and Mathew, Shannon meets Bellman: Feature based Markovian models for detection and optimization, CDC 2008.
- Tesla: Grover and Sahai, Shannon meets Tesla: Wireless information and power transfer, ISIT 2010.
- Shortz: Efron, Shannon Meets Shortz: A Probabilistic Model of Crossword Puzzle Difficulty, Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 2008.
- Marconi: Tse, Modern Wireless Communication: When Shannon Meets Marconi, ICASSP 2006.
- Kalman: Gattami, Kalman meets Shannon, ArXiV 2014.
Sometimes people are meeting Shannon, and sometimes he is meeting them, but each meeting produces at least one paper.